Wednesday, January 13, 2021

 

No, Time, thou shalt not boast that I do change;

Thy pyramids, built up with newer might,

To me are nothing novel, nothing strange;

They are but dressings of a former sight:

Our dates are brief, and therefore we admire

What thou dost foist upon us that is old,

And rather make them born to our desire

Than think that we before have heard them told:

Thy registers and thee I both defy,

Not wond’ring at the present, nor the past,

For thy records, and what we see doth lie,

Made more or less by thy continual haste:

This I do vow, and this shall ever be,

I will be true despite thy scythe and thee.

Sonnet 123

Well, what do you think? I like it. It’s always good to read a sonnet now and then; just ask Sir Patrick Stewart. And admittedly, many of them are pretty hard to understand. As well, this one here probably has a lot more in it than what we initially see. But if we don’t dig too deep, it’s not too hard to understand what’s being said here. To summarize in one sentence: I believe the speaker is telling time that time doesn’t scare him, and that he’s going to be true in spite of time.

Again, what do you think?


Yup, you guessed it. They're standing on the pyramid. And they seem pretty casual about it. That is to say, the pyramid appears to be to them nothing novel, nothing strange.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...