Tuesday, June 1, 2021

 

        But that slander, sir,

Is found a truth now.

 

-Second Gentleman

King Henry the Eighth              Act III, Scene i, Line 152

 

I’m not going to bother with context at all in this one. I’m going to go straight to current applicability. Oh wait, day three in a row with truth! And for a sec I didn’t even realize that. I was all set to launch into a tirade about the fragility of truth and the current need for, and lack of, it more than ever. Perhaps I won’t bother.

Oh boy, truth. Truth. 

 

 My associate and I were in a shop across from La Mezquita in Cordoba, and we had just toured the mosque/cathedral. The juxtaposition of the two places of worship in one and the inherent contradictions that exemplified brought us into a discussion of truth. I had just quoted this line from Henry VIII to see what he thought of it, and he responded with the Keats Beauty is truth, truth beauty line. Well, as you can see that caught me a little off guard. So I just took another bite of my pastry.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...