Wednesday, June 23, 2021

 

First, that, without the king’s consent or knowledge,

You wrought to be a legate; by which power

You maim’d the jurisdiction of all bishops.

 

-Earl of Surrey       

King Henry the Eighth           Act III, Scene ii, Line 312

 

We’re still in the histories, I see.

This is the part of Henry VIII where they undo Wolsey. Or perhaps Henry has him undone; I’m not quite sure. In any event, today’s line, as it states, is the first in the list of offenses that Cardinal Wolsey has committed. It turns out to be a pretty long list.

Then…

Then…

Item…

That…

Then…

By the time they’re done with the list, Wolsey is done as well. That’s right, stick a fork in him, he’s done. 

 

 
I don't think there's much relevance here (though they are talking about eating like kings), but I did think it was pretty funny.

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...