Thursday, June 3, 2021

 

I do attend here on the General;

And think it no addition, nor my wish,

To have him see me woman’d.

 

-Cassio

Othello              Act III, Scene iv, Line 194

 

The word I find most interesting today is woman’d. Yes, it’s the verb form of woman. I was not aware that woman could be used as a verb. Of course, nowadays everyone and his cousin seems to enjoy turning nouns into verbs. One of my favorites was one I heard in a business meeting. The VP was the senior person in the room and he was addressing everyone when he said “If something goes wrong with this project, it’s not going to be just my head. I’m going to make sure to peanut butter the pain!” In other words he would spread the blame over everyone. I always liked that one, peanut butter the pain.

Anyway, back to today’s word. To have him see me woman’d. Now, does that mean with a woman, or subservient to a woman, or turned into a woman (figuratively)? Take your pick. 

 So does this ring mean that I'm woman'd?


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...