Thursday, July 8, 2021

 

How! Poor? Look upon his face; what call you

 rich? Let them coin his nose, let them coin his 

cheeks: I’ll not pay a denier. What, will you 

make a younker of me? Shall I not take mine 

ease in mine inn, but I shall have my pocket 

pickt? I have lost a seal-ring of my 

grandfather’s worth forty mark.


-Sir John Falstaff

King Henry the Fourth Part I         Act III, Scene iii, Line 81

 

Well this is very typical John Falstaff baloney. I think you could come up with many, many, many modern actors and roles which pull off of Falstaff. From WC Fields to… I can’t think of a modern day one, but it’ll come to me. He’s part flim flam, part false bravado, and yet perhaps more fully human than any other of Will’s characters. And I guess that may be why he is so revered by the Shakespeare faithful. Yes, I believe revere is the right word.


Since today is July 8 I thought this would be an appropriate pic. It has nothing to do with today's line, but today is the birthday of Edwin, a fellow I work with. Whilst he's nothing like John Falstaff, he does bear more than just a passing resemblance to the fellow in this picture. Edwin was born in Peru, and this picture was taken in Ecuador. Not exactly the same thing, and I don't know if this fellow here is Ecuadorean or not, but he and Edwin could very well have some similar South American native roots. Who knows?
Happy Birthday Edwin!


 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I understand very little of this excerpt but even though I can't understand it, this Falstaff sounds like a dweeb.

Pete Blagys said...

A dweeb? I've never heard him referred to as a dweeb. But I can see how that would fit.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...