Friday, July 2, 2021

 

Where I have learn’d me to repent the sin

Of disobedient opposition

To you and your behests, and am enjoin’d

By holy Laurence to fall prostrate here,

And beg your pardon: pardon, I beseech you!

Henceforward I am ever ruled by you.

 

-Juliet

Romeo and Juliet            Act IV, Scene ii, Line 20

 

This is Juliet’s response to her father’s question, Where have you been gadding? Which naturally leads to our question, what the heck is gadding?

Well I looked in my Shakespeare app and there’s nothing for gad or gadding, but the online dictionary has it: go around from one place or another, in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

So that is supposedly a modern definition, and it appears to work perfectly. Okay then, there’s a word to add to our vocabulary. 

 

What's this a picture of, you ask? Well it's just my two Cordelias. We were gadding about the Tennessee state capital when we decided we needed a pic of this Geodesic Survey Marker. Go figure. 

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

Do you think people still use that word? "Gadding"?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...