Thursday, December 2, 2021

 

Avaunt! Be gone! Thou hast set me on the rack:-

I swear ‘tis better to be much abused

Than but to know’t a little.

-Othello

Othello                    Act III, Scene iii, Line 335

 

Othello is talking to Iago. The latter had planted the seed with the Moor of Desdemona having an affair with Cassio, and now Othello has had time to be thinking about that. The seed has germinated and, based on what he says here, Othello’s been thinking about Desdemona and Cassio quite a bit.

Oh honest Iago!

Oh poor Othello.

I think I might agree with Othello; ignorance can, at times, be a blessing.

Here we have a perfectly topical example from my pencil collection. This guy here, from the New York Botanical Garden, contains basil seeds in the black tip. The pencil is meant to be planted once it is used up. So it's not seeds of jealousy, it's seeds of basil; but seeds nonetheless. 


 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...