Friday, December 31, 2021

 

Look, here’s thy love, my foot and her face see.

-Longaville

Love’s Labour’s Lost             Act IV, Scene iii, Line 277

 

Well, this is a bit of a tough line this morning, kids. But if we spend a few minutes on it, perhaps we can get a little something out of it.

For starters, I have to confess that I’m just not sure what Longaville is saying. I’ll give you all some context, and then maybe we can come up with something.

The four main guys here, the king, Berowne, Dumaine, and Longaville, have just found out that they are all pursuing love interests when they all had taken a vow of celibacy. Right now they are picking on Longaville, and what’s interesting is that Longaville’s love interest is apparently a black woman. They are picking on him because he’s gone against his vow, but they’re also picking on the fact that his lady is black. I had no idea this scene existed in Shakespeare, but it does.

The other three have been taunting Longaville’s choice of a black woman (I’ll let you read the text yourself here) when he replies with today’s line. I guess it’s some sort of insult of the other guys’ ladies, but what is he saying? Is it that their faces look like his foot? That’s what it appears to be, but that’s pretty odd.


So if I said, "Ah, your girl's face looks like my foot!" I suppose that would be an insult? 
I dunno, it's not a bad looking foot.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...