Tuesday, July 26, 2022

 

                                          As I hope

For quiet days, fair issue and long life,

With such love as ‘tis now, the murkiest den,

The most opportune place, the strong’st suggestion

Our worser Genius can, shall never melt

Mine honor into lust, to take away

The edge of that day’s celebration

When I shall think: or Phoebus’ steeds are founder’d

Or Night kept chain’d below.

-Ferdinand

The Tempest                   Act III, Scene iv, Line 27

 

Okay, a bit long, and today’s line is not the clearest that we’ve come up with in the past six years, but let’s spend a few minutes with it. First, here's a little context.

Prospero has just told Ferdinand that he’s going to bless the union of Ferdinand and Miranda. He’s also told him there better not be any hanky panky before the wedding day. Today’s Totally Random lines are Ferd’s response to that.

Now, at first blush these lines appear to be a bit tough, but let’s take a closer look. And one other thing: where it says or Phoebus, substitute either Phoebus. I think that might make that last part a little more understandable.

Essentially Ferd is saying three things: 1. He’s hoping for a long, and prosperous life with Miranda, 2. Nothing will turn his honor to lust and so ruin the wedding day, 3. The day of the wedding will seem to last forever.

The first part’s easy; it’s the first line and a half. The second part’s also pretty easy, it goes from there up to that day’s celebration. The third part is harder. But if you understand that when he talks about Phoebus’s steed foundering and night chained below, he’s talking about that day lasting forever, and it begins to make sense.

Got it?

Now, this might be another case of you saying, ‘Well, Pete, what good is this stuff if it needs to be translated?’ If that’s what you think then I’m not sure what to say. Yeah, this is a bit of a tough line, but once you understand it, doesn’t it seem to be worth the effort? 

All I can say is that if you don't think it's worth the effort, then you’re missing out. I guess you’ll just have to trust me on that one. Try to think of me as your better Genius as opposed to your worse one.

Here's my pic for worser Genius. I think when Ferd talks about this he's talking about his bad angel as opposed to his good angel. Here you can see my bad angel in my left ear, and my good angel in my right. I used this pic once before, but I think it's perfect for today. 



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...