Friday, July 29, 2022

 

 

I am a rogue, if I were not at half-sword with a dozen of them two hours together. I have scaped by miracle. I am eight times thrust through the doublet, four through the hose; my buckler cut through and through; my sword hackt like a handsaw, --ecce signum!


-Sir John Falstaff

King Henry the Fourth Part I      Act II, Scene iv, Line 170


This is the beginning of Falstaff’s version of what happened during the robbery. Of course, it’s all rubbish, and Hal knows it’s rubbish, but Falstaff does not yet know that Hal knows. Ecce signum means (according to my notes) hold the sign. I’m not sure that Falstaff isn’t just using it as an exclamation.

Ecce signum!


Okay, they're not holding the sign, they're standing on either side of it. Just the same, remember, L'otters are not afraid!


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...