Friday, July 15, 2022

 


My gentle Puck, come hither. Thou remember’st

Since once I sat upon a promontory,

And heard a mermaid, on a dolphin’s back,

Uttering such dulcet and harmonious breath,

That the rude sea grew civil at her song,

And certain stars shot madly from their spheres,

To hear the sea maid’s music.

 

-Oberon

 

A Midsummer Night’s Dream         Act II Scene i, Line 149

 

This is part of a larger thought that Oberon is having about how he wants Puck to fetch him a certain flower so that he can cast a love spell on Titania. In fact, these seven lines are a bit ‘long story, short-Tony’ in that they are really superfluous to what Oberon is talking about. However, unlike Tony’s rambling of unneeded detail, I rarely find Will’s extra detail to be rambling or unneeded. I think the language, and the picture that he paints with these seven lines is well worth the time spent reading/hearing them. 

How about you?


Do you like these socks? Well, I think I've brought up long story, short-Tony before, but here goes again. Tony would tell stories about something that he experienced, and he'd sprinkle in the most mind-numbing level of detail that had nothing to do with the story; like these socks. His story could be about a speeding ticket he'd received, and he would add in a very detailed description of the socks he was wearing at the time. It would make his story really long, and all the while he'd be repeating the phrase 'long story short'. Of course, I'd be saying to myself 'There's nothing short about this story, Tony!'

Come to think of it, long story short, maybe I spend too much time talking about Tony?


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...