Wednesday, July 31, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

I had as lief have heard the night-raven, come what plague could have come after it.


Benedick

Much Ado About Nothing     Act II, Scene iii, Line 131


Had as lief means just as soon as, and a night-raven is an ill omen. He’s saying he’d just as soon as listen to a raven sing as listen to Balthazar. The latter just sang a little ditty for everyone.

I wonder if had as lief is an idiom still used in England. They do have a lot of different ways of saying things and spelling things and doing things over there. Those crazy Brits.



I'm always a little nervous when this guy gets behind the wheel.

No Mojo, let's NOT pretend we're in England. I'd as lief we just stay on the right side of the road, okay?


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...