Thursday, July 11, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

More direful hap betide that hated wretch,

That makes us wretched by the death of thee,

Than I can wish to adders, spiders, toads,

Or any creeping venom’d thing that lives!

 

Lady Anne

King Richard the Third                 Act I, Scene ii, Line 20



Here we have Lady Anne, the daughter-in-law of Henry VI, mourning over the former’s dead body. Henry, and Henry’s son Edward, who was Lady Anne’s husband, were both killed by Richard, and that’s the hated wretch she’s referring to.

Let me give you Pete’s version of the first two lines.

I hope the most terrible fortunes befall the hated wretch that killed thee, Henry;
More terrible than I could wish on adders…

Anne is just one more in the long line of Richard haters. The funny thing is that she ends up marrying Richard before things are done. Yup; believe it or not.


Wait, what? She marries the guy that killed her husband and her father-in-law?

That’s right Gilligan. What do you think about that?


 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...