Wednesday, September 28, 2016



What he cannot help in his nature, you account a vice in him.
-Second Citizen

Coriolanus          Act I, scene i       Line 38

Well since the last post on Coriolanus a few weeks ago I have actually seen Coriolanus! The play, not the guy. Actually, the movie, not the play. But it was still pretty good. It was a recent version starring Ralph Fiennes in the title role, and set in modern day. Like a lot of adaptions, especially movie adaptions, it used original Shakespeare text, but did a liberal job of picking which of those lines to use and which to cut out. But it did do a pretty good job of sticking to the story. And it certainly added to my understanding of the play.

Anyway, today’s line is in the opening scene where the citizens are setting the scene for the play, complaining about lack of food and blaming Coriolanus. Second Citizen (an uncredited actor) is trying to defend Coriolanus. What Coriolanus ‘cannot help in his nature’ is to be very proud of who and what he is and refusing tell the rabble what they want to hear. He pretty much feels he’s above them. And they’re not too crazy about that, especially when they’re starving. I don't know why he didn’t just do a better job of seeing that the food got spread around a little better. Was it a one percenter thing? I’m not sure. There’s a lot of aspects to this play, and Coriolanus’s pride is certainly one of them. But another might be the discontent of the masses because the patricians (the one percenters) control the bread. As I said on my previous Coriolanus post, there’s some really current themes in this one that would make it a really good play to be studying right now.

But what about this pride thing. One could say that Coriolanus has a right to be proud of his military service to his country. Most people probably wouldn't argue with that today. And when I google images of pride I get tons of gay pride pictures. I guess we’re also proud to be American and proud of all sorts of other stuff too. So it's okay to be proud? But wait, isn’t pride one of the seven deadly sins (I googled it and it is). Sooooo…… 

Well I guess I’m just not sure at all about this pride thing. And if you watch the play Coriolanus I think you'll conclude that Will wasn't either.
                                                                                 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...