Thursday, September 8, 2016




And partly, seeing that you are beautified
With goodly shape, and by your own report
A linguist, and a man of such perfection
As we do in our quality much want,--
 
-First Outlaw    
 
Two Gentlemen of Verona          Act IV, scene i    Line 55

From feast to famine! I wonder if that saying has its roots in Shakespeare? Oh well and anyway. Yes, from nothing yesterday to four lines of….well, not much. In any event we’ve only traveled four pages forward  since yesterday, from Act III scene i to Act IV scene I; same play. We still don’t know much of what’s going on with this play, but I’ll give you some very brief context for today’s line. Valentine, yesterday’s speaker, is now traveling through the woods when he gets accosted by ‘certain outlaws’. After a brief exchange these three outlaws decide they want to recruit Valentine as their leader. This First Outlaw, speaking above, gets interrupted by Second Outlaw who completes the sentence and asks if Valentine will become their general. And he does. Yeah, pretty kooky stuff, but I guess we’d have to better understand the full story to understand what’s going on here. On the other hand, we do have two lines already and they were both spoken by Valentine. The first might give us some clue because he was saying something about having gotten so much bad news. So maybe Valentine is so fed up with how things are going for him that he’s ripe for the picking by these outlaws. Who knows? I suppose we could listen to the play. Did I already mention that I have the Arkangel version of this play on CD. Well I do. Am I going to listen to it? Not today. Sorry.

However, let’s take a little closer look at this. Here we have one of those instances where I’m not completely sure of how to interpret this because I know I’m not thinking like a sixteenth century Englishman. I assume, though, that this line is comedy. Put this into modern context. Can you imagine a guy running into three hoods on a dark street. They start to rough him up, looking to rob him. But then they realize he’s got no money, and that he’s an educated fellow, so instead of robbing him they recruit him as their leader. But it's not only that they want him for their leader, it's why they want him; ‘You’re a good looking fellow, and well spoken. A fellow of your qualities is exactly what we’ve been looking for to be our leader.’ Yes, I believe that would be part of a comedy script. Again, it’s hard to appreciate much of Shakespeare without seeing it performed. And of course even a little harder when you’re getting it one random line at a time!

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...