Monday, September 19, 2016





More can I bear than you dare execute.


-Duke of Suffolk


King Henry VI Part II       Act IV, scene i    Line 130

Great line! Okay, I’m not going to do any contextualizing or real analysis of this one. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy it.

More can I bear than you can execute. My goodness. Them’s fightin’ words! I don’t know who the Duke of Suffolk is or who he’s talking to, but he’s clearly not afraid of whoever it is. More can I bear! You can’t do nothin’ to me buddy! I guess it could also be used for one of those guys who think they’re the tough guy and don’t realize that the guy they’re talking to is gonna kick their butt. Yeah, it could be that. But I’d rather think of it being said by the guy who really is the tough guy. Or just the guy who’s not afraid and can’t be intimidated; the old fashioned hero like Rambo, or the Rock, or somebody like that.

So it’s a really good line today. One that I guess you can use. It’s got just enough juxtaposition of wording to make it a little confusing if the person you say it to isn’t used to this type of language (or just plain not that bright). And that might be a good thing if the person you say it to is about ready to kick your butt and they’re a lot bigger than you. It might freeze them in confusion just long enough for you to get away (in which case this probably isn’t the line for you anyway). On the other hand if you really are not afraid of what the other person can do then it’s a fabulous line. In fact, it’s made me want to see what the Duke of Suffolk is talking about and to whom he’s saying it. So I’ll be looking at that today, but just for fun. Meantime I’ll just be enjoying the line for what it is; a bit of Hollywood bravado.

Okay, little bit of a postscript here. I did a little reading of the part that leads up to this line and it appears that the Duke of Suffolk is saying this right before he gets led away to be executed. So I guess that changes the meaning of the line in this context a little, but then again, not all that much. I think this Duke is still pretty bad ass.
               

2 comments:

Mrs Blue said...

I like this line.

Mrs Blue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...