Sunday, September 4, 2016


This is strange now: do you two know how you

are censured here in the city, I mean of us o’the

right-hand file? Do you?



-Menenius Agrippa

Coriolanus          Act Ii, scene i      Line 15



What we have here is a bit of a rhetorical question by this Menenius Agrippa fellow to the two guys he’s chatting with. These two have just been criticizing Coriolanus as proud and boastful, and Menenius is about to rip into these guys telling him that they’re the ones who are proud as well as stupid. In fact, he’s going to spend the next little while telling these two what shmucks they are. And these guys are tribunes (politicians).

Now if I’m not mistaken (and I’m not because I just checked) we had one previous Totally Random Daily Shakespeare line from Coriolanus and it was also commenting about someone’s character, and that instance also had to do with politicians. In fact, I gave you a pic of the Donald and Hillary on that occasion. From which I guess we can draw the conclusion that this play is about politics? Well, in fact it is, albeit slightly different politics than what we have today. Nonetheless, it’s about the people who are leading, or trying to lead, the country.

So here’s what I’m gonna do. I have to run some errands right now and one of them is at the library. I’m going to get the Arkangel CD of Coriolanus and I’m going to try to listen to it tonight. My wife and son are away at the Minnesota State Fair for a few days, so I have the place to myself. Tonight is Coriolanus night. I’ll give you a report tomorrow on whether I get through it or not.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...