Thursday, May 11, 2017



 I think it lacks of twelve.

-Horatio

Hamlet                                              Act I, Scene iv, Line 3



Horatio’s talking about the time of day. He’s saying ‘I think it’s a little before midnight.’ This is the scene where the ghost of Hamlet’s father appears and has a chat with his son. But this is the very beginning of the scene and neither the ghost nor the son is here yet. So I guess Horatio is just doing the job of helping to set the scene for the audience. Now they know it’s around midnight. And so do you. Will that help you in your appreciation of the scene that you’re about to see or to read? Well I guess you’d have to see or read the scene to find out. Here it is. Well, did it help?




I think that it is not lacking of twelve. In fact, I know without looking at my watch that it's not lacking of twelve because my lunch is long gone.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...