Saturday, August 27, 2016




Here comes newer comfort.


-Seyward

Macbeth              Act V, scene viii Line 92



Aye, that Scottish play. Now we’ve tapped into a good one! I studied this one in my MAT class about ten years ago, but I've not looked at it since, so I’m a bit rusty with it. But, like Hamlet, Lear, and Othello, it is one of Shakespeare’s classic tragedies.
Now just consider what comes right after this line. Seyward has just concluded his discussion and thoughts of his son who just got killed in battle with the words 'And so God be with him.' But then he quickly changes the subject with today's Totally Random line 'Here come newer comfort.' And what is he referring to? His line in the play's text is immediately followed by the stage direction 'Enter Macduff with Macbeth's head.' OUCH! Yes, I certainly can't imagine anything more comforting than seeing someone's severed head on a spike. 'Here comes something to make us feel better guys. It's that bastard Macbeth's head on a spike!'
Well it's a pretty gruesome play with a lot of killing and description of killing in it, perhaps only exceeded by Titus Andronicus (you experts correct me if I'm wrong). So I guess this type of line is to be expected.
Just the same, and no matter how bad a guy Macbeth was--- would you be comforted by the sight of his severed head?










  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...