Friday, October 29, 2021

 

I took no more pains for those thanks than you take pains to thank me: if it had been painful, I would not have come.

-Beatrice

Much Ado About Nothing             Act II, Scene iii, Line 251

The main experience I have with this play, other than through picking lines occasionally for this blog, is watching Helen Hunt talk about it on a television program. I forget the name of the show but it’s one of the cable networks and the show did one-hour episodes where they’d get into the nuts a bolts of one play for an hour, and they had a different famous actor do each hour show. Helen did this play, and she talked about playing Beatrice. I don’t remember much, other than that she was very keen on the role.

I suppose that’s not much help with today’s line though, is it? But just to give you some sense of what it means: Benedick is alone onstage, and Beatrice enters to say that, against her will, she’s been bid to come and invite him for dinner. I don’t know who sent her, but Benedick replies Fair Beatrice, I thank you for your pains. Today’s Totally Random line is Beatrice’s response to Benedick.

I can tell you that these two spar throughout the play, but that they end up together in the end. 

I think I should probably see this play, or at least read and listen to it. What do you think?

If you look real close you can see my Harry Potter scar, except mine is a Y, not a lightning bolt. It's a faint, white Y almost directly above the eye, halfway between the eyebrow and the hairline. Trust me; it's there. Anyway, I took some pains in getting that scar. It involved falling and cracking my noggin on the corner of the low cabinet that the tv sits on. Yes, there was definitely pain involved. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...