Sunday, October 31, 2021

 

A whoreson dog, that shall palter with us!

Would he were a Trojan!


-Ajax

Troilus and Cressida      Act II, Scene iii, Line 231


For clarity’s sake, palter means to quibble or deal evasively with. For further clarity, Ajax is talking about Achilles, and the whole group of Greeks present is discussing the fact that Achilles has decided not to do any more fighting in the battle against the Trojans. Do we think that Ajax would be saying these things to Achilles’s face? Good question. I’m afraid I don’t know Ajax well enough to answer that. He does seem to be pretty willing to speak his mind in Achilles’s absence though, doesn’t he? And that, in and of itself, can be rather telling.

BTW, the meaning of whoreson is a little different if you look it up in a modern dictionary versus a Shakespearean glossary, but neither is particularly complimentary. I think you can figure out on you own the general meaning. It's a pretty good expression to use about someone that you really feel is a very rotten person, but it's not a very nice thing to say. And my mom always told me, if you have nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all. So, yeah, you're bound to run into a whoreson dog or two, but better to take the high road and say nothing at all.    



And here you go, a pic of nothing at all. Remember a few days ago I said that I was going to put the emphasis on posting everyday, even it meant posting with no pic? Well, here you go. I couldn't think of any pic to go with a whoreson dog, so that's what I'm posting: no pic. Rather than saying nothing at all, I'm posting a pic of nothing at all.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...