Friday, October 22, 2021

 

Nay, I would have you go before me thither.

-Queen Elinor

King John                       Act I, Scene i, Line 155

 

Well now you just gotta like that word thither. It’s in the modern dictionary (albeit noted as archaic) with the same meaning being used here: to or toward that place. And if it’s in the modern dictionary, well then, it’s fair game. Use it at will. So no matter where you go today, as you head thither, be sure to use this word whenever possible. 

Now here's a perfect example of using the word thither. I was at a used bookstore with my two associates and young Walker has just said to his mom, "I saw this exact volume in the library the last time I went thither." The look on her face says it all. 'Thither? Is this young fellow using the word thither. What on earth...' That's the look you need to go for in someone by using the word thither. Good luck.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...