Sunday, May 29, 2022

 

I am none, by this good light.

 

-Antigonus

The Winter’s Tale           Act II Scene iii, Line 82


You tell him, Antigonus! Leontes the king has just accused Antigonus of being a traitor. He’s not, and that’s what he’s declaring in today’s Totally random line.

Couple of things:

First: Good line. Even though it’s just a simple declaration, I like the second part: by this good light. Yeah. He’s not just saying no, I’m not a traitor. He’s not swearing on the bible. By this good light. Plain as day it should be. I like it.

Second thing: Every time I read or listen to this play (I’ve never seen it performed), my first reaction is that no one could be as stupid, or as insanely and wrongly jealous, as Leontes. Yes, that’s my first impression. Then I finish my morning time with Will, and I go out and live the day in the real world and realize, lo and behold, there are people like that. I mean this in a general sense, not that I have any examples in mind of modern day Leontes. I just mean, that no matter what I see taking place in Will’s works sooner or later I see something in my, in our, world that reminds me that Will was not exaggerating.

And that’s all I’ve got for today.  


How about this good light? It's not exactly the best light in terms of giving you light to see something, but I think it's a pretty cool pic of the day's last light. 

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...