Thursday, May 19, 2022

 


My dearest wife was like this maid, and such a one

My daughter might have been:

 

-Pericles

Pericles, Prince of Tyre         Act V Scene i, Line 106

 

Pretty straight forward. Pericles is seeing his daughter Marina as an adult for the first time. He doesn’t know yet that it’s his daughter, he thinks that both his wife and daughter are dead, and he makes this comment. Simple as that.

However, I found another line (it’s actually in the next scene) that I’d like to draw your attention to. Here’s Pericles talking about going to go get ready for his daughter’s wedding:

 

And what this fourteen years no razor touch’d,

To grace thy marriage-day, I’ll beautify.

 

He’s going to go beautify himself! I love it. I use that phrase all the time; had no idea I was quoting Shakespeare. Don’t believe me? Just ask Patrice. She’ll tell you.

Here's a pic of pre-beautified Pete. So you can see why I need to beautify.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...