Wednesday, May 18, 2022

 

Now, fair one, does your business follow us?


-King

All’s Well That Ends Well      Act II Scene i, Line 100

 

The king is speaking to Helena who has just walked into the king’s room in the palace. He’s just asking her what’s up, or what can we do for you? That’s an interesting way of putting things: does your business follow us.

Now, there’s a couple of ways of looking at Shakespeare’s use of language. One way, perhaps most prevalent in the student, is that it’s impossible to understand. And I can see how someone would feel that way. Does your business follow us: what does that even mean? But another way to look at Shakespeare’s language is to marvel at all the different, interesting, and beautiful ways he can say things. Now, is does your business follow us simply a common expression of Will’s times that he’s sharing with us? I don’t know. But whether he’s creating it, or just sharing it, I guess I would say that it doesn’t really matter to me. Either way, it’s an example of marvelous language that we wouldn’t otherwise have.

Having said all of that, I think we can also say that this is the crux of Will's works in toto. When reading or hearing Shakespeare, you simply must embrace the language. You can't hold it at arms- length and expect to get a full appreciation. You can't. Take it in. Immerse yourself and roll around in it. Surrender yourself to it. It's the only way you're ever going to fully appreciate Shakespeare. 


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I don’t think I can ever marvel. Just frustrate.
I thought the line meant “Does your business follow us?” as in - “Is whatever you did or said before this moment going to plague us going forward?”

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...