Tuesday, August 16, 2022

 


Besides, the lottery of my destiny

Bars me the right of voluntary choosing:


-Portia

The Merchant of Venice                Act II, scene i, line 15

 

This is another piece of this play that bugs me. Portia’s father died, and apparently he had quite the estate and his daughter appears to be his sole survivor. He’s left instructions that whatever suitor can come and pick the correct of three caskets (small boxes) they will win the hand of his daughter. His daughter has no say in the matter. This is what Portia is making reference to in today’s Totally Random Line. What the heck kind of nonsense is this?

Perhaps the old man left someone in charge to enforce this deal, but if he did, I haven’t seen mention of him. It looks like Portia is just going along with it. Now I can see honoring one’s father’s wishes, but this seems a bit much.

And this gamble is the premise that Bassanio borrowed the three thousand ducats on; the premise for which Antonio’s life is on the line. In a sense, the whole play revolves around this silly casket choice. Well that’s just crazy.

Is this like Portia's caskets? Actually, hers were metal...


...and I don't think any of hers had a chess set inside. So, no, I don't think this is like any of Portia's caskets.





No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...