Sunday, August 14, 2022

 


                              Why look how you storm!

I would be friends with you, and have your love,

Forget the shames that you have stain’d me with,

Supply your present wants and take no doit

Of usance for my monies,

And you’ll not hear me: this is kind I offer.

 

-Shylock

The Merchant of Venice                Act I, scene iii, line 45

 

I’m going to maintain that skipping around like this, whether within one play or through all Will’s works, has the advantage of having any and every possible line highlighted, where it might otherwise be skipped over. And that’s a good thing. But to today’s line…

Shylock had been saying previously that Antonio has in the past been very mean to him, spit on him and treated him like a dog. And for these courtesies/I’ll lend you thus much monies’? he asks of Antonio. Antonio’s reply is an interesting one.

         I am as like to call thee so again,

        To spit on thee again, to spurn thee too.

        If thou wilt lend this money, lend it not

        As to thy friends— for when did friendship take

        A breed for barren metal of his friend?—

        But lend it rather to thine enemy;

        Who if he break, thou mayst with better face

        Exact the penalty.

 

For when did friendship… Antonio’s saying when did friendship ever increase based on the money of a friend?

Who if he break… who if he goes bankrupt.

This is the storming that Shylock is referring to, and responding to, with today’s Totally Random Lines.

Now, there’s a lot here, and I gave you quite a bit to read, but I think this is a really important piece of the play. Shylock has justly accused Antonio of being really rotten to him, of spitting on him and treating him like a dog. Even with all that he’s saying that he would be willing to be friends with Antonio. He’d be willing to take no doit of usance – take not a penny of interest for the loan. We can argue as to whether or not this is a sincere offer, but either way Antonio has already made it very clear that he wants absolutely nothing to do with Shylock on a personal basis; he only wants the money loaned on a purely business-based relationship. At this point Shylock offers, and Antonio accepts, the pound of flesh deal.

So, who’s the bad guy? You tell me.

No doit of usance..
 
Not one red cent.



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...