Wednesday, August 17, 2022

 


It should seem, then, that Dobbin’s tail grows backward; I am sure he had more hair of his tail than I have of my face when I last saw him.


-Launcelot Gobo

The Merchant of Venice                Act II, scene ii, line 142

 

This is an odd little scene. It begins with Launcelot deciding whether or not to leave the service of Shylock. It ends with him making the decision to leave and entering into the service of Bassanio. In between, Launcelot’s father shows up and, being half blind, doesn’t realize initially that he’s talking to his son. But he finally realizes it and remarks that his son has more hair on his chin than his horse Dobbin has on its tail. I’m not 100% sure what Launcelot means with his response in Today’s Totally Random Line. I guess he’s just remarking on the shortness of his own beard.

I’m also not exactly sure what the old man Gobo scene adds, other than the opportunity for a little bit of comic interlude, but I guess that’s important. This is a comedy, after all. Let’s not forget that.


Talk about long tails, now that's impressive!





No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...