Wednesday, August 3, 2022

 


[to Gaunt] O thou, the earthly author of my blood,-

Whose youthful spirit, in me regenerate,

Doth with a twofold vigor lift me up

To reach at victory above my head,-

Add proof unto mine armour with thy prayers;

And with thy blessings steel my lance’s point,

That it may enter Mowbray’s waxen coat,

And furbish new the name of John o’ Gaunt,

Even in the lusty haviour of his son.

 

 -Henry Bolingbroke

King Richard the Second       Act I, scene iii, line 70

 

This is son addressing father. Bolingbroke is about to fight Mowbray and he’s asking his father, John of Gaunt, … well you can plainly see what he's asking his father.

I really like the first line, the earthly author of my blood. It’s a really interesting use of all three words: earthly, author, and blood, and a way to describe a father that's quite unique.

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...