Friday, October 14, 2022

 


What’s the matter,

That in these several places of the city

You cry against the noble senate, who,

Under the gods, keep you in awe, which else

Would feed on one another?

 

-Caius Marcius

Coriolanus                      Act I, Scene i, Line 181


I’m not sure where to go with this. We’ve posted on this scene a few times already, and Coriolanus is a complex character. But then, who of Will’s characters isn’t?

How’s about this: rather than talk about it, why don’t we take a look/listen? I’ve found this scene on YouTube. It’s the Ralph Fiennes version and it’s fabulous. They’ve set the tale in the twenty-first century, but they’ve kept Will’s words, albeit abridged. In fact, this first scene is severely shortened, but Today’s Totally Random Line made the cut. It’s right past the two minute mark in the video.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I think Fiennes is brilliant.

 

(139) The Tragedy of Coriolanus - Act 1, Scene 1 - YouTube

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...