Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 


What, gone, my lord, and bid me not farewell!

 

-Duchess of Gloster

Henry the Sixth Part II           Act II, Scene iv, Line 85

 

And here’s Gloster’s reply to his wife as she is being led away to banishment on the Isle of Man. 

Witness my tears, I cannot stay to speak. 

He doesn’t appear to be all that upset that he’s probably seeing his wife for the last time ever. If I’m not mistaken though, Gloster will be meeting a bad end fairly soon, so don’t waste too much time thinking poorly of him. He’s not worth it.

Just in case you were wondering, the Isle of Man is that little island between the United Kingdom and Ireland. If you look close, you can see it, and right below it you can see 'Man'. 
So, you get your daily Shakespeare and a geography lesson, all in one today. No extra charge.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...