Saturday, October 7, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

  

 Peace, break thee off; look, where it comes again!

  

Marcellus
Hamlet                                Act I, Scene i, Line 40

 

This is Marcellus’s reaction, as he interrupts Bernardo to point out that the ghost has reappeared. We’re in the first scene of Hamlet again. I say again not because we’ve been here recently, but because this scene is 176 lines long and this is the eighth time we’ve visited it. And, in fact, the very next line, spoken by Bernardo, is one that we picked previously,

In the same figure, like the king that’s dead.

So why didn't I pick another line? Laziness, I suppose. It's a nice, easy-to-understand line.

Peace, break thee off; look where it comes again!

Stop talking; look here it comes.

Let’s face it, you didn’t need Pete’s version there did you? I certainly hope not. 

Here's my little buddy sleeping with his friend. They get along pretty well, these two, and they're really sound sleepers. If the ghost of Hamlet's father showed up he'd really have to make some noise to wake these two up!




1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I confess, the Pete translation did help me still.
Those two could be twins!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...