Monday, October 23, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

I thought as much.

 

 

Cleon

Pericles                   Act I, Scene iv, Line 62

 

He thought as much. He thought what? He thought that the ships on the horizon were coming as conquerors. He was wrong. The ships on the horizon were coming with food to aid them in their time of famine. So he thought he thought as much, but what he thought was not what was, in fact, what was.

What do you think about that?

I think it would have been pretty cool for Pericles to show up in a ship like this one. 
Can't you just see him leaning off the bow in front yelling,
"I'm the king of the world!
And I've brought a whole bunch of corn!" 



 

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Wait. So he thought as much but what he thought wasn't what was? That's basically the opposite of "I thought as much"...

Pete Blagys said...

No, he still thought as much, it's just that what he thought was wrong. But he still thought it.
Right?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...