Monday, August 26, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

HENCE! Home, you idle creatures, get you home:


Flavius

Julius Caesar         Act I, Scene i, Line 1

 

That’s right, it’s the first line of the play. What’s going on here? I’m not sure.

Flavius is listed as a tribune. That’s the same as a U.S. Representative. Why is he yelling at the people? Again, I’m not sure.

Okay, I listened to/read the whole first scene here. It’s short, less than five minutes. It seems that the people are in the streets to celebrate Julius Caesar’s triumphant return to Rome. It also seems that Flavius and another tribune are not happy with this. They see Caesar as a threat to the common good. I wasn’t aware of the fact that there was a faction in the tribunes that felt the same way as Brutus and Cassius. I don’t think these two, Flavius and his buddy Marullus, show up again in the play. I guess they’re just there to let us know that not everyone is happy about the thought of Caesar becoming supreme leader, so that we won’t be caught off guard by Brutus’s and Cassius’s desire to get rid of Caesar.

As I’ve said before, this play, and perhaps Coriolanus, are really good studies of politics and leadership. Covering these two plays in high school would go a long way towards bringing about some good discussions of where we are today.

They should put me in charge of the curriculum, eh?


And here's the reason you haven't seen any posts since last week. That's right, we went to the Minnesota State Fair. 
And we left poor Mojo back here in CT, so he didn't make it into the pic (or today's post). If they let pooches into the Fair we would've brought him. But alas, no. 

In any event, we have now got ourselves home, idle creatures that we are. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...