Friday, August 2, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

What trade, thou knave? Thou naughty knave, what trade?


Marullus

Julius Caesar         Act I, Scene i, Line 15


Here’s something interesting. I initially went to the wrong page in my compilation. I picked page 582, but inadvertently went to 584. It was a better line than Today’s above. It was Cassius talking to Brutus about Caesar. He’s pointing out to Brutus that the people are treating Caesar like a god when he’s no better than anyone else. In the line that I picked in error he’s specifically talking about when he, Cassius, was swimming across a river with Caesar.

The torrent roar’d; and we did buffet it

With lusty sinews, throwing it aside

And stemming it with hearts of controversy:

But ere we could arrive at the point proposed,

Caesar cried, ‘Help me, Cassius, or I sink!’

I, as Aeneas, our great ancestor,

Did from the flames of Troy upon his shoulder

The old Anchises bear, so from the waves of Tiber

Did I the tired Caesar: and this man

Is now become a god; and Cassius is

A wretched creature, and must bend his body,

If Caesar carelessly but nod on him.


It sounds like Cassius has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Wouldn’t you agree?

Anyway, as interesting as that is, here’s something even better: I listened to this whole scene this morning, Act one – Scene two, and I noticed not one, not two, but three famous lines in it. See if they’re familiar to you.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars…

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;

It was Greek to me.

Interesting, eh? Hopefully you’re familiar with at least one of those, if not all.

And that’s how you avoid discussing a Totally Random line about which you have nothing to say. Pretty clever, eh?



Yond Mojo has a lean and hungry look, doesn't he?


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...