Friday, July 31, 2026

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

For I have given here my soul’s consent

T’undeck the pompous body of a king;

 

Richard

King Richard the Second  Act IV, Scene i, Line 249

 

I didn’t want to overpower you with too many lines, but this is a pretty good speech by Richard. He’s been overthrown by Bolingbroke who’s going to unthrone him to become Henry IV. Now Richard has been brought out to tell everyone that he’s surrendering his crown to Bolingbroke.

Mine eyes are full of tears, I cannot see:

And yet salt water blinds them not so much

But they can see a sort of traitors here.

Nay, if I turn mine eyes upon myself,

I find myself a traitor with the rest;

For I have given here my soul’s consent

T’undeck the pompous body of a king;

Made glory base, and sovereignty a slave,

Proud majesty a subject, state a peasant.

There, that’s the whole thing. He’s giving up everything to Bolingbroke, and he’ not too happy about it.

I think the two lines that are Today’s Totally Random Lines may be the best of the bunch.

For I have given here my soul’s consent

T’undeck the pompous body of a king;

Though the next two lines aren’t bad either,

Made glory base, and sovereignty a slave,

Proud majesty a subject, state a peasant.


I guess he’s decided that he’s pretty much screwed it all up. Perhaps he has.



That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it, Mr. Blagys?

Well Mojo, I guess that's a matter of opinion, isn't it?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Well, you are a rare parrot-teacher. Benedick Much Ado About Nothing          Act I, Scene i, Line ...