Sunday, August 23, 2026

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

ACT I.     SCENE I. 

A ship at sea: a tempestuous noise of thunder and                                         lightning heard.

Enter a SHIP-MASTER and a BOATSWAIN.

 

SHIP-MASTER

BOATSWAIN!

 

This is a little bit different setup for this morning’s post since it’s the first line of The Tempest. Well, it’s not just the first line of speech, it’s the first lines at the beginning of the script. We know it’s the beginning by noting that it’s the first scene of the first act, and it then tells us what’s going on before the Ship-master gives us the first actual spoken line of the play: BOATSWAIN! Yes, it’s all in caps.

We have to wonder just how they managed to stage the ship at sea, and the tempestuous noise of thunder and lightning, but apparently they did. This is not one of those things that took place off-stage and was then related to the audience by one of the actors. This is a ship, at sea, in a storm, on the stage, in the year 1610, or thereabouts. Interesting to think about, isn’t it?



Here is a pic of the relatively calm South Pacific Ocean a few hundred miles south of New Zealand, from a ship, in the sea. No tempestuous noise of lightning and thunder on this tripThank God!

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   ACT I.      SCENE I.   A ship at sea: a tempestuous noise of thunder and                             ...