Monday, October 5, 2026

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Prepare there,

The duke is coming: see the barge is ready;

And fit it with such furniture as suits

The greatness of his person.

 

Sir Nicholas Vaux

King Henry the Eighth           ActII, Scene i, Line 97

 

The duke referred to above is the Duke of Buckingham, and he has just been sentenced to death. The barge they’re talking about is the barge that will take him to his execution, presumably at the Tower of London. The duke is still well loved, and Sir Nicholas is trying to make sure he is still being treated as befitting his state, but the duke will have none of it.

 

                                      Nay, Sir Nicholas,

Let it alone; my state now will but mock me.

When I came hither, I was lord high constable

And Duke of Buckingham; now, poor Edward Bohun.

 

Edward Bohun: that name certainly does not have the regal ring to it that the Duke of Buckingham does. But Edward/the duke is being realistic; he knows that his goose is cooked. It’s hard to imagine being so accepting of one’s fate as he is. What’s even harder a lot of the time, at least I think it is, is knowing when to accept, and when to fight to change it. It gets back to that saying: Give me the strength to change what I can, the patience to accept what I can’t, and the wisdom to know the difference. Gotta have the wisdom. I guess Edward Bohum’s wisdom tells him his fate is sealed. Poor guy.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Prepare there, The duke is coming: see the barge is ready; And fit it with such furniture as suits ...