Today’s Totally Random
Lines
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
King Henry
King Henry the Fifth Act IV, Scene iii, Line 61
Yes, that’s right, we randomly picked this line. Actually, it was my second choice because I just did not feel like dealing with the first line I picked. It was from All’s Well That Ends Well. It was the scene where Parolles gets tricked into proving what a coward he is, and we’ve done that scene a few times before. I very rarely refuse a line, but I did this morning, and so we’ve ended up here.
This is one
line in Henry’s famous speech before the battle that’s over fifty lines long. Of
course, you recognize it for the Band of Brothers show about
WWII. It’s probably also the genesis of the USMC tagline, The Few, The
Proud, The Marines. It’s just a really famous line.
Though you’re probably familiar with the show and the USMC usage, you may not be familiar with Shakespeare’s use of it. This is part of Henry’s pep talk to his troops before the battle of Agincourt. It’s pretty much the denouement of the play. The Brits are outnumbered by the Frenchies by a lot (I forget the actual numbers. I could look it up but…). Henry is telling them all…well, heck, here’s the YouTube link. You can listen to the speech yourself. It’s less than five minutes. I’m a little disappointed that Branagh actually cut a few lines of the speech; he’s usually one for being a Shakespeare purist, but it’s still well worth the watch. Yes, here’s how Shakespeare is meant to be enjoyed: he wrote it to be performed, to be seen and heard, not read.
Enjoy!
Henry V - Speech - Eve of Saint Crispin's Day - HD
BTW, just in case you didn’t know, or were in doubt, the Brits do win the battle, and with amazingly few losses. It had to do with the use of the long bow, but that’s a story for another time.
Ahh, yes, the long bow. I know it well.

No comments:
Post a Comment