Saturday, October 10, 2026

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Why, here walk I, in the black brow of night,

To find you out.

 

Hubert De Burgh

King John                Act V, Scene vi, Line 17


This is a short scene, the second to last scene of the play. Hubert Du Burgh and Bastard (the guy’s name is Philip Faulconbridge, but since he is supposedly the bastard son of King Richard the Lionhearted he is simply referred to as Bastard in the text) are roaming around alone in the dark in an open place near Swinstead Abbey. I took that last part from the notes at the beginning of the scene.

I believe that Hubert is saying to Bastard, in reply to the latter’s question of what he’s up to, that he was actually looking for him. So they end up having a little chat about what’s going on, but it seems absolutely pointless to fill you in on what’s happening because, as I said, there’s only one more, relatively short scene left in the play. So what am I going to do? Sum up all that’s happened so far? I don’t think so.

I will say that I like the phrase black brow of night: very poetic. I think it’s mostly the word brow. It’s giving a human feature to night. I’ve really gotta find a way to remember this one so I can use it. But I'm pretty sure I won’t.


I'll help you, Mr. Blagys. 

Look! There's the black brow of night outside the window behind me!

Thank you, Mojo.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Why, here walk I, in the black brow of night, To find you out.   Hubert De Burgh King John     ...