Wednesday, November 9, 2016


Away! by Jupiter,
This shall not be revoked.
-Lear
King Lear                            Act I, scene i        Line 180
And here he goes again. The only other time we had a line from Lear (the character, not the play) he was spouting about coining and being the king. But that was much later in the play. Today we’re in the first scene of the play. Lear has just disowned Cordelia (bad move) and now he’s banishing Kent (equally bad move). It seems that Lear pretty much does everything in the first scene of the play to screw himself for the rest of the play. And we spend the rest of the play watching this self-screw job play out.

At the very least, though, we get a nice expletive that we can use. And it’s a pretty darn clean one as well, by Jupiter! By way of context (in case you’re interested), he’s telling Kent to beat it, by Jupiter, and that he’s not going to change his mind about banishing him. This might be another one of those instances where the audience is looking at what’s going on and saying to themselves (or out loud) ‘Lear, you boob, Cordelia and Kent are the good ones! Idiot!’ You know that at this point Goneril and Regan are already chuckling to themselves. Now I don’t mean to come off as being too critical of Will, but honestly, sometimes the way he sets stuff up, or the things he has some of his main people doing, seem to lack a little bit of credibility. Do you agree? On second thought, I guess all I have to do is look at the people around me, or the news headlines (which by the way I’m still doing a pretty good job of avoiding ever since I started doing these blog posts, except for lately with this damn election) to realize that this stuff is not that unbelievable at all. Yes, after contemplation, by Jupiter, I take it back! In a very real sense it seems like half the  country just said 'Away! by Jupiter, this shall not be revoked' to what could have been their Kent or Cordelia last night in favor of an imbecile. Yes, this stuff is entirely believable, and Will is indeed timeless. Oh my!


Myself, I'm doing fine, because luckily I have two Cordelias. So I'm not going to worry about it, by Jupiter!

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...