Thursday, November 10, 2016


O God! That one might read the book of fate,
And see the revolution of the times
Make mountains level, and the continent,
Weary of solid firmness, melt itself,
Into the sea!
 -King Henry
 King Henry the Fourth Part II      Act III, scene i    Line 45
Well this is a pretty pertinent quote for today’s state of affairs. It sounds like Henry wants to see the future, but that he wants to see all things come to an end. It sounds quite fatalistic and pessimistic.

I would say that there are more than just a few people in our country today who are feeling this way. Probably about sixty millions of them. And that’s not surprising considering that we have now decided to put a misogynistic, bigot, imbecile in charge. However, my own personal feelings are more optimistic. Don’t get me wrong, I can understand if you want to see the mountains level and the continent melt into the sea. I get it. And this fellow, clearly proven to be a morally corrupt idiot with the maturity of high schooler, might just make you want this to happen. So how can I be optimistic?

I’m optimistic because our country’s government has not been working for quite a while, and definitely needs something to reboot it. Perhaps this, as unpleasant as it is, will help the reboot.

I’m optimistic because I don’t believe the imbecile is too far-right (or far-left) regardless of his party affiliation, but rather more centrist (though I’m not sure he even realizes this, or knows what the word ‘centrist’ means). So that is better than having an extremist in charge.

I’m optimistic because I believe that this ego-driven imbecile will want to be considered a great leader and because of this will try to actually do some good things. I also believe the office of the president in and of itself tends to elevate the occupant’s way of thinking.

I’m optimistic because I believe the election of the moron will be a wake-up call to all of us regarding what can happen if we don’t care more about what’s going on.

I’m optimistic because I believe there are many, many good men and women faithfully serving our country and I believe they will continue to do so, keeping us safe, in spite of the imbecile.

And finally, I’m optimistic because I have to be. I want this grand experiment of democracy to continue. I have children who need it to continue, and I believe it will continue. I believe this is a great country, much greater than any one imbecile.

So it’s absolutely amazing that we managed to come up with this Totally Random line today. And I apologize for going a little more off course than I usually do. But isn’t it once again fantastic to see how timeless Will’s words are. Timeless or not, though, don’t take the line too seriously, and please don’t be Henry. Be optimistic.

Of course, being a little prayerful wouldn’t hurt either.

God bless us all! I know that he will.

3 comments:

Mrs Blue said...

I'm trying to be optimistic but then i opened the new york times and saw who he appointed to the EPA. i guess i'm going to have to follow your lead and stop reading the news? But then what? Just be ignorant? That's not helpful either...

Pete Blagys said...

I would say that in this case, yes be ignorant. Unless you're planning on doing something actively about it (which I suppose is not out of the realm of possibility, but neither would I recommend it right now), It's just not worth worrying about. Stick to the things you're working on in your life, the things you have some control over.
Today's news is so entertainment based anyway (and how do you think we ended up with the schmuck) that calling it news is highly questionable. It's very difficult to find a news source that simply reports pertinent facts in a responsible manner. And besides, if something vitally important is happening, you'll hear about it.

So remaining ignorant might seem a bit counterintuitive, but it's the best I have to offer, and I think it's the healthiest choice.

Squeaks said...

I find BBC to be the best news source.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...