Sunday, November 1, 2020

 

And as she runs, the bushes in the way

Some catch her by the neck, some kiss her face,

Some twined about her thigh to make her stay:

She wildly breaketh from their strict embrace,

Like a milch doe, whose swelling dugs do ache,

Hasting to feed her fawn hid in some brake.

 

-Narrator

 Venus And Adonis                               Line 1871

 

I think she’s running to see what’s happened to Adonis. He’s gone hunting and I think this is the part where she’s going to find him dead or dying. I’m pretty sure, but not positive.

By the way, ‘dugs’ are nipples. So that’s an interesting simile, isn’t it.


Here's a picture of my thumb. I hope you weren't expecting a picture of a nipple.


2 comments:

Squeaksy said...

Very entertaining pic and caption.
Is there some kind of book everyone buys to find these translations?

Pete Blagys said...

I have a Shakespeare app called ShakespearePro. The app is part of the website called playshakespeare.com. The app has a glossary that I use to look up words. Since I read a little bit of Shakespeare every day I can understand a lot of what's being said a little bit better than your average bear. But I still use the glossary quite a bit.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...