Friday, November 20, 2020

 

I do not find that thou deal’st justly with me.

-Roderigo

 Othello                                                Act IV, Scene ii, Line 173

 

No kidding! Iago deal’st justly with no one! And yet, even though Roderigo seems to be on to him, by the end of this conversation, fifty or so lines further down, Iago is talking Roderigo into yet more skullduggery. Iago is incorrigible and everyone around him is malleable in his capable hands. What can I say? Oh honest Iago!



So we were at the Grand Canyon, and the discussion turned to today's line from Othello. I said to Ev, "pretend that squirrel is Rodrigo, and he's just said to you, 'I do not find that thou deal'st justly with me.' and now give me your best Iago look before you go into convincing that squirrel that you're really on his side." 

And this is the look Ev gave me. I think he nailed the essence of Iago perfectly. What do you think?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...