Saturday, December 5, 2020

 

And do you tell me of a woman’s tongue,

That gives not half so great a blow to th’ear

As will a chestnut in a farmer’s fire?

 

-Petruchio

The Taming Of The Shrew          Act I, Scene ii, Line 206

 

Petruchio has decided to set his sights on Katharina, and the boys are trying to warn him what a shrew she is. His response is to name all the things he’s dealt with.

        Have I not in my time heard lions roar?

Have I not heard the sea, puft up with winds,

Rage like an angry boar chafed with sweat?

Have I not heard great ordnance in the field,

And heaven’s artillery thunder in the sky?

Have I not in a pitched battle heard

Loud ‘larums, neighing steeds, and trumpet’s clang?

And do you tell me of a woman’s tongue,

That gives not half so great a blow to th’ear

As will a chestnut in a farmer’s fire?

Tush, tush! Fear boys with bugs.

 

That Petruchio is a man’s man!

 

Given the mention of a chestnut in today's line, I guess it was pretty much inevitable that I would give you a picture of Chestnut.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...