Monday, December 28, 2020

 

O, well begg’d!

  -Cominus

 Coriolanus                              Act I, Scene ix, Line 86

This is a slightly strange exchange, but perhaps well representative of the contradictions apparent in the character of Coriolanus. This is taking place after the battle of Corioli, and he asks Cominius to make sure they spare one of the townspeople of Corioli because the guy sheltered Coriolanus when he needed shelter. Cominius says ‘of course, that’s a proper thing to ask (well begg’d), what’s the guy’s name’. To which Coriolanus responds, By Jupiter, forgot:- I am weary, yea my memory is tired.- Have we no wine here? And so they go off in search of wine and that’s the last we hear about saving that townsperson. But it was a nice idea for all of the ten seconds that it lasted.


Today's action reminded me of the saying 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions.' Well I couldn't find a picture of the road to hell, but here's a pic of the bridge to Merida (behind me in the distance). I know, it's not the same thing. But at least the bridge is from Coriolanus's time, so I thought that would count for something.

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...