Sunday, December 20, 2020

 

I am made of that self metal as my sister,

And prize me at her worth. In my true heart

I find she names my very deed of love;

Only she comes too short,- that I profess

Myself an enemy to all other joys,

Which the most precious square of sense possesses;

And find I am alone felicitate

In your dear highnesse love.

 

-Regan

 King Lear                                Act I, Scene i, Line 70

 

Act One, Scene One. We get right into it pretty quickly, and see just who’s who in our story. Lear has decided to divide his kingdom up  between his three daughters and he will do so based on how well they each profess their love for him. That, in and of itself, seems a bit strange, but sycophancy suits Goneril and Regan quite well. Goneril went first, and today’s lines are Regan’s attempt to outdo her sister. Cordelia will go last and offer little more than honesty, and not enough flattery. And thus begins the tragedy of King Lear.

On a side note, the last line is written In your dear highness' love in my book. Well we know that the appropriate presentation of possessive highness would be highness's. So I went back to my old standby, The First Folio. The presentation therein was highnesse. As you can see, I used that.  

 


I couldn't find a pic that was particularly appropriate for today's lines, so I'll give you this. It's the front page of my copy of Lear with the Shakespeare and Company Bookstore stamp. How about that?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...