Friday, December 4, 2020

 

But time hath rooted out my parentage,

And to the world and awkward casualties

Bound me in servitude. – [aside] I will desist;

But there is something glows upon my cheek,

And whispers in mine ear, ‘Go not till he speak’.

-Marina

 

Pericles                        Act V, Scene i, Line 93

 

Here we have Marina talking to Pericles, her father. But if I’m not mistaken, as of yet she doesn’t realize that this guy is her father, and nor does he realize that Marina is his daughter. It’s a pretty typical ending for one of Will’s comedies. And it’ll all be resolved over the course of this scene and the next. You can reason, though, that Will more than makes up for these ridiculously happy endings with the endings of some of his tragedies.

Now, as to the verbiage; I believe that time hath rooted out my parentage means that time has taken away her parents; or at least that's what she thinks. That’s interesting phraseology, isn’t it? I guess you could say that time hath rooted out my parentage too, since both of them have moved on. Right?

And here are those two parents, before time rooted them out on me. In this pic they are sitting with two of their grandchildren, also known as my two Cordelias. Time does march on, doesn't it. Yes it does. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...