Saturday, September 3, 2022

 

9/3/22

 


It is the devil.

-Antipholus of Syracuse

The Comedy of Errors                   Act IV, scene iii, line 49


This play is a little bit crazy; okay, maybe a lot crazy. I think the main problem, well, to be clear there are a lot of problems and a lot of common sense that must be suspended in order to deal with this play. But as I was saying, one of the biggest of these is that Antipholus and Dromio of Syracuse are out in search of their twins, and they arrive in a town where they are constantly being mistaken for someone else. Why don’t they realize that their twins are in this town! Oy! I mean honestly, this one plot fault could have been overcome by having these two guys traveling without the express purpose of looking for their twins; or perhaps not even knowing they have twins. We, the audience, would have known about the twin situation from Aegeon’s story in the first scene of the play.

Okay, there I go questioning Will again. When will I learn? Perhap’s it’s the devil in me. Yes, that’s it. It is the devil.


How about this guy, the guy with the horns. Is he the devil? 
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what that guy is.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...