Thursday, September 29, 2022

 


You do not?

 

-Julia

Two Gentlemen of Verona              Act I, Scene ii, Line 91


Yes, that’s today’s line, you do not? I must assume that you’re asking the question you do not what? So I’ll tell you. She, Julia’s waiting-woman, does not like the tune Light ‘O Love. She feels it is too sharp.

Today’s scene has Julia, the woman that Proteus (one of the two titular gents) wants to woo, speaking with Lucetta, her servant. In the line previous, and the one subsequent, Julia addresses Lucetta as minion. So forget about everything else here, we’re just going to focus on minion.

One week ago we ran into the word minion, and at that time we decided it meant darling or favorite since it was referring to someone’s husband. But today it is referring to a waiting-woman, a servant. So now it appears that the word is being used the way we would expect it to be, and you know what that means.

 

That's right: It's Patrice and her minions again. 
I know I just used this pic last week, but I couldn't resist using it again. 
Minions!

 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...